Transforming your house into a home that truly reflects your personality and style requires more than just carefully selected furniture and colour schemes. It is the little decorations on your shelves and artwork adorning your walls that breathe life into your living spaces. But with countless options available, choosing the right art pieces for your home interior can leave you spoilt for choice. We unveil the secrets to curating a captivating art collection that will impress your guests and infuse your home interior design with a distinctive flair. Read on to find out more.
1. Consider Different Forms and Styles of Art
Art has the ability to transform empty spaces into conducive environments for work, rest, and play. Exploring with different forms and styles of art when you’re decorating your living space can create an interesting and captivating ambiance that reflects your individual tastes and preferences. The diversity can also evoke unique emotions within your home and enhance its visual interest, depth, and personality.
Some forms of art you can consider include paintings, sculptures, photographs, prints, and mixed media pieces. Paintings, for instance, can feature a wide spectrum of styles, such as impressionism, cubism, and surrealism.
From classical and traditional to modern and contemporary art, different art styles communicate a distinct mood and aesthetic that can alter the vibe of your home. For example, contemporary abstract paintings offer a more dynamic visual experience as they often embody bold colours, geometric shapes, and unconventional forms to bring energy, fluidity, and vibrancy to a room. Those are great for injecting a sense of playfulness and casual vibe to your decor.
2. Match the Art to Your Home Interior Design
The overall aesthetic appeal of your home interior design can be influenced by the pieces of art you put in your space. And matching artworks to your home’s decor can introduce visual unity.
When choosing the artwork to purchase, think about the existing style of your home interior, its colour scheme, the choice of furniture, and other decorative elements already present in the room. This will serve as your foundation for selecting pieces that complement and enhance your existing design elements.
Look for pieces that feature colours already used in your home, especially those that take up a huge percentage of your space. For instance, if your living room has a lively colour scheme of pastel pinks, sky blues, and creams, you might want to consider artworks with similar pinks and blues to maintain a cohesive look.
Additionally, the style of your artwork should align with the overall home design theme. For example, if your home boasts a modern luxury home interior design style, opt for luxury artworks with clean lines and a sleek aesthetic. On the other hand, if your home features a traditional or vintage style, you might want to choose paintings or prints that showcase classical motifs, landscapes, or portraits.
3. Choose Artwork According to Room’s Purpose
Selecting artwork that complements the purpose and use of each room can enhance the appearance and conduciveness of each space. Here’s how:
- Living Room: The living room is often the central gathering space in a home, where family and friends come together to relax and socialise. Large, bold artworks or statement pieces can serve as a focal point to draw attention, add visual interest, and make the room look inviting. Landscape art also works well in a living room as it opens up the space to make it appear spacious and welcoming.
- Bedroom: The bedroom is a sanctuary for relaxation and rest, so choosing artwork that promotes a sense of tranquility and calmness would be most ideal. Soft, soothing colours and gentle imagery such as nature scenes or abstract art can create a serene ambiance. Consider selecting artwork that has a personal meaning or connection to you, as it can help increase the comfort levels of your home.
- Home Office: When it comes to the home office, functionality and inspiration are key. Artwork in this space should foster creativity, focus, and productivity. Consider incorporating motivational quotes, abstract art with vibrant colours, or photographs that inspire you.
4. Proportions, Placement, and Grouping
Several factors such as proportions, placement, and grouping, play a significant role in creating a visually appealing space.
Proportions establish a harmonious relationship between various elements within a composition, placement is crucial for drawing attention, and grouping can be a powerful way to create impact and tell a story.
When selecting artwork for your home, it’s important to consider the scale and size of the pieces in relation to the surrounding space, how it’ll fit within your home interior design, and how they can be combined with other pieces to command attention and serve as a feature.
Finding a balance between all three elements can help you showcase the full potential of your chosen art pieces.
Want to design stunning home interiors for yourself? Starry Homestead is an interior design company in Singapore with years of experience turning empty spaces into beautiful homes. Kickstart your home transformation journey with us.